Rice Bran Oil Does a Face & Body Good!
Sadly, oil has gotten a bad rap and is in fact one of the best substances to nourish your skin and hair with. Rice bran oil is considered to be a “dry” oil, meaning it is easily absorbed by the skin and won’t leave a greasy residue. This oil is fabulous for all skin types and is a beauty secret among women all over Asia. For years, rice bran oil has been revered among Japanese women for its ability to keep their skin and hair radiant and healthy. In fact, there is even a Japanese term “Nuka Bijin” meaning “rice bran beauty” that is considered to be one of the highest compliments when given to a Japanese woman.
I discovered rice bran oil could be used as a beauty aid in addition to cooking while in acupuncture school and tried it as a facial cleanser and moisturizer. My skin tone evened out, an old chicken pox scar disappeared, fewer breakouts occurred and my skin retained moisture better than it had with previous and “expensive” and “popular” brand name moisturizers. Not only did it repair my skin but it also saved me a TON of money! I have not used a store bought moisturizer and cleanser in 7 years and my skin is more radiant and healthy than it has ever been.
Rice bran oil benefits:
- Rich in antioxidants, it is a powerful anti-aging ally.
- Protects skin and hair against UV rays (not promoting it as a sunscreen substitute).
- Is considered to be more powerful and effective than Vitamin E alone.
- Improves skin’s elasticity, evens out skin tone, reduces fine lines & wrinkles and minimizes scaring.
- Gently removes makeup including eye makeup and moisturizes the delicate skin around your eyes.
- Will not clog pores.
- Hydrates, protects and strengthens hair.
- Cost effective!
- Vegan, gluten free and cruelty free.
How to use it:
- Apply a generous amount of oil to a round cotton pad to remove makeup. This will not only remove makeup but will also leave skin smooth, plump and hydrated.
- If you use another cleanser or wish to hydrate your face after showering, apply a dime size amount all over face including eye area.
- Apply generously all over scalp and rinse for a deep scalp moisture boost.
- To fortify, hydrate and give hair an extra sheen, apply to damp hair and style as usual. Overtime, you will notice less breakage and split ends!
**Poler Tip: Keep a small bottle in the shower. Just like we condition our hair after shampooing, condition your skin after washing and shaving! Best done the night before poling, apply to skin and rinse. This will leave your skin hydrated, especially as we approach the dryer months of the year.
Where to Purchase:
Rice bran oil can be found in most health food stores and online. However, I have found the most cost effective way to get it, is through purchasing larger quantities and refrigerating any unused amounts for longer preservation. Below are some online suppliers that I have used.
Give it a try and share your results!